What is the NDIS?
The National Disability Insurance Scheme is called the NDIS.
It’s a new way for people with a disability under the age of 65 to get the care and supports they need to live a better life.
The NDIS is for people with a permanent and significant disability which impacts on their ability to take part in everyday activities.
The NDIS recognises that everyone is different and gives people with disability choice and flexibility.
This means you can choose who provides that support.
If you are eligible, you will work out what reasonable and necessary supports you need to live your life and achieve your goals. You’ll then receive funding to pay for these supports.
Find more information on the https://www.ndis.gov.au/
Who is eligible for the NDIS?
Eligibility for the NDIS depends on a few different things such as:
- Location: You need to have been living in an area where the scheme is already rolled out
- Age: You need to be under 65 years at the time of your application
- Residency: You need to be an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or a New Zealand citizen who holds a Protected Special Category Visa
- Disability: You must have a permanent disability that significantly affects how you can communicate, move, care for yourself, or manage your life.
- Early Intervention: You might be eligible if early intervention would substantially improve your functioning, or delay or decrease a decline in functioning, for you or your child.
What should you do next?
If you already receive disability support or services from a service provider you can ask them about the NDIS and what it all means.
They can also explain what other types of disability support are available and who can provide the support you may be looking for.
There may be other people in your community who may want to learn about the NDIS as well. Speak with them, share ideas and swap stories.
Check out in your community for local NDIS workshops, forums or information sessions being held. If you can’t attend, remember to call and ask for information to be sent out to you.
The National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) will work out if you can use the NDIS.
You can phone the NDIA on 1800 800 110 or you can get more information on the https://www.ndis.gov.au/
There is also a checklist of the NDIA website https://www.ndis.gov.au/applying-access-ndis/am-i-eligible to help you find out if you are able to apply for the NDIS
You may like to check when the NDIS will be available in your area by entering your postcode on the NSW NDIS website.